33.7 C
Tuesday, December 11, 2018
WATCH: Policeman who survived Owerri robbery attack loses eye, cries for help

WATCH: Policeman who survived Owerri robbery attack loses eye, cries for help


A police officer who survived the deadly armed robbery attack at a branch of the Zenith Bank on Wetheral Road, Owerri, Imo State, Sergeant Otu Attang, has cried out for help after he lost his sight in the rampage.

According to Punch, Sgt. Attang who was the only surviving of the three police officers in the attack, however, lost one of his eyes and is in dire need of money to go for further surgery so he does not lose the other eye.

Sgt. Attang was one of the police officers on duty at the bank when the armed robbers stormed the bank in February 2017, and the attack which left the officers dead, he sustained the injuries to his eye and now requires N3 million for surgery.


Speaking on his plight, the police officer said he has been abandoned to his fate by both the Nigeria Police Force and the bank.

He said he was told by doctors that there were bullets still lodged in his skull and his jaw and that he needed urgent surgeries to have them removed.

Attang who revealed that he had already had a surgery to take out his eye and install a prosthesis, added that he had paid for his treatment all by himself, while he also cares for his family even in his sick state.

“I underwent a lot of X-rays and surgeries, and it was discovered that I needed eye surgery. I had my eye surgery at Mercy Hospital, Orji, and I was on crutches for seven weeks, as my left leg was badly battered by bullets.

I also went through a surgery to have my feet repaired at my own expense,” he said in the interview.

Sgt. Attang added that that he left the Police Clinic because the cost was unbearable and he still had to fend for himself there, noting that at some point, the Imo State former Commissioner of Police and now Assistant Inspector General, Taiwo Lakanu, intervened and agreed to pay the N20,000 daily charge on his ward, but he had to cater for his medications and other expenses by himself.

He revealed further that after the shootout, the three injured policemen were first taken to the Federal Medical Centre, Owerri, where one of them, Sergeant Chukwudi Iboko, died, while the remaining two were then transferred to the Police Clinic where Sergeant Sunday Agbo, a second officer, also died.

He acknowledged that Zenith Bank had provided only N400,000 for their treatment while the injured policemen were at the FMC, Owerri, with the bank also providing another N200,000 for their care while they were at the Police Clinic and since then, he had been left to take care of himself.

“Iboko died by 4 am on February 23 and we were transferred to the Police Clinic by Shell Camp, Owerri. Sunday Agbo died the same day at about 3 pm while we were at the Police Clinic,” Sgt. Attang said.


Asked whether he and the late officers had received rewards for their gallantry, Sgt. Attang said AIG Lakanu had visited them at the FMC on the day of the incident and told them that he (Lakanu) had spoken with the Inspector General of Police who had ordered that they be recommended for promotion because of their gallantry.

Sgt. Attang, however, expressed regrets that no word about the promotion has been heard again despite the death of his colleagues.