When it comes time to sell your home, you might consider making some changes to make it more appealing to buyers.
According to a new analysis by Zillow, paint color should definitely be a change you consider.
After analyzing more than 32,000 listing photos of homes that have sold across the US, Zillow came up with a list of the colors that performed the best.
For example, homes that are painted “greige,” a shade somewhere between light gray and beige, tended to sell for $3,496 more than similar homes in brown or tan.
“Color can be a powerful tool for attracting buyers to a home, especially in listing photos and videos,” Svenja Gudell, Zillow’s chief economist, said in a press release. “Painting walls in fresh, natural-looking colors, particularly in shades of blue and pale gray, not only make a home feel larger, but also are neutral enough to help future buyers envision themselves living in the space. Incorporating light blue in kitchens and bathrooms may pay off especially well as the color complements white countertops and cabinets, a growing trend in both rooms.”
Here are Zillow’s findings on what colors to choose (and which to avoid):
- Blue (light blue to soft gray-blue): home sold for $1,809 more on average
- Yellow (straw yellow to marigold): home sold for $820 less on average
- Blue/purple (light powder blue to periwinkle): home sold for $5,440 moreon average
- White/no color (off-white or eggshell white): home sold for $4,035 less on average
- Blue (light cerulean to cadet blue): home sold for $1,856 more on average
- Pink (light pink, to antique rose; often found in kids rooms): home sold for $208 less on average
- Blue (slate blue to pale gray blue; navy blue also found in dining rooms with white shiplap): home sold for $1,926 more on average
- Red (brick red, terracotta, or copper red): home sold for $2,031 less on average
- Brown (light beige, pale taupe, oatmeal): home sold for $1,809 more on average
- Blue (pastel gray, pale silver to light blue, periwinkle): home sold for $820 less on average
- Gray/brown (greige — mix of gray and beige): home sold for $1,526 more on average
- Brown (medium brown, taupe, or stucco): home sold for $1,970 less on average
- Gray/blue (navy blue to dark gray or charcoal): home sold for $1,514 more on average