Make your journey together more pleasant.
How can I make my partner happy today?
I know you’ve probably heard that one before. Well, you know what? It’s important to be reminded of it again. And again. And again. Marriage is a journey and during this journey, there’s work to be done. So the more you remember that one question and act on it the more joyful the journey will be.
Now, let me be clear here. We all know that it’s really not another person’s responsibility to create our happiness — that’s up to us. Because when we know how to do that for ourselves, life is something we look forward to every morning our feet hit the floor.
And with that said, there’s nothing more wonderful than knowing the person you’ve committed to spend the rest of your life with is not only thinking about ways to create their happiness but is genuinely devoted to bringing you happiness, too.
The beautiful thing about this is it’s so simple and these aren’t the newest ideas under the sun, but actually doing them is what kicks the happiness factor into reality and makes marriages work.
So, here’s how to bring more smiles to your marriage and maintain the perfect level of happiness.
1. Before getting out of bed in the morning tell your sweetheart how lucky you are to see their beautiful face.
2. When you get into bed at night tell them how grateful you are that you have them in your life for another day and you look forward to doing it all over again tomorrow.
3. Surprise them with breakfast in bed.
4. Leave love notes where your partner will find them throughout the day.
5. If your honey has a to-do list lying around, scan it and do what you can from the list for them.
6. Find something to appreciate your spouse for every single day.
It doesn’t matter how small it is, people love to be thanked and told why they are appreciated.
7. Tell your lover what you like about them every day.
Her sweet smile. His gentle voice. Her infectious laugh. His sense of humor. The list is very big when you focus on the good parts of your spouse instead of what bugs you.
8. Hug him for no reason at all.
9. Look deep into her eyes and just smile and then gently kiss her cheek.
10. Flirt with him like you want him more than anyone in the world.
I know how much life can get in the way for making these kinds of things happen every single day. But that shouldn’t be a reason for not understanding how to bring more smiles to your marriage and doing at least one thing that shows each other that, in spite of the difficulties life throws your way, you still want to make sure each other’s happiness is your number one priority in life.
Oh and one last thing I didn’t mention: Ask, “What can I do to bring you happiness today?” If you’re really hung up on this happy thing, thinking it’s pie in the sky, then wake up asking yourself this question every morning, instead: “How can I make my partner feel loved today?”