Almost everything on the internet today makes more sense if you include a hash tag to it, especially if you want it to trend.
But how did we get here?
On August 23, 2007, the #hashtag was born on Twitter by mistake.
10 years ago, Chris Messina @chrismessina tweeted #barcamp, the first time a hashtag was used to bring a group together.
Now a significant part of the internet culture, Twitter reveals the use of the hash tag symbol # was invented almost by accident.
• Globally, an average of 125 million hashtags are shared every day on Twitter
• The most-tweeted hashtag in 2007 was used around 9,000 times. The most-used hashtag so far in 2017 was used over 300 million times.
And in Nigeria the hash tag #BringBackOurGirls cannot be easily forgotten.
Suzy Nicoletti, managing director of Twitter Australia, said:
“When anything happens in the world, it happens on Twitter, and the hashtag is a perfect example of this. The hashtag changed everything – over the past 10 years, it has become one of the most widely recognised and used symbols in the world. It created new ways to communicate, to share, and to build communities.
“When you look at some of Australia’s top Twitter hashtags, you’ve got everything from social movements like #illridewithyou, to passionate fans of #5SOS, iconic sporting events like the #MelbourneCup and the ever-trending #auspol. It’s a mix that speaks to our unique culture, sense of identity and sense of humour. It’s #whatshappening.”
Hashtags in Australia:
• Almost half a billion tweets with hashtags showing the love for 5 Seconds of Summer
• Political junkies have used the #Auspol hashtag 3.5 million times
Global hashtag champs:
• The most tweeted television show hashtag of all time is #TheWalkingDead
• The most tweeted about movie hashtag of all time is #StarWars.
• The most tweeted gaming hashtag of all time is トレクル (TreCru/Treasure Cruise) with over 269 million
Twitter users can join the celebration today by tweeting with #hashtag10 from 2pm AEST on August 23. Using #hashtag10 will activate a 24-hour custom emoji to celebrate the 10th birthday of the hashtag.