Five most dangerous Ornamental plants grown in our environment.

0
56

 

Ornamental plants also known as flowers are used to decorate our house/environment. Houseplants play several beneficial roles in our home and environment. They provide visual interest to the home, purify the air, and may be edible or medicinal.

 

ADVERTISEMENT

But aside the beneficiary roles most plants can also be dangerous to man and other animals that live around the house. Poisoning can occur from eating or touching leaves, Ingesting berries, blossoms, or roots. Skin contact with sap or juices, eating soil, or drinking water from plant tray.

 

Five dangerous ornamental plants:

1. Philodendron


Quite possibly one of the most popular house plants, the lovely philodendron is easy to grow. While it is often the perfect complement to any room, it contains calcium oxalate crystals, which are toxic to humans and animals.

 

 

2. Lily


Not all lilies are toxic, and some are more toxic to animals, especially cats, than to humans. If you are aren’t certain what type of lily you have, err on the side of caution and keep lilies either out of reach indoors, or planted away from play areas outdoors.

 

 

3. Dieffenbachia


The Dieffenbachia is also called dumb cane. This plant is related to the philodendron and contains the same oxalate crystals. Dieffenbachia has thick stems and fleshy leaves that are usually solid green, with the occasional yellow or green markings.

 

4. Oleander


Nerium oleander looks delicate and innocent, but is so toxic that even ingesting honey made from its nectar can produce symptoms.
Deaths in adult humans have been reported with as little as one leaf eaten, but the majority of deaths occur when very large amounts are ingested. Children are more susceptible and should be kept away from Oleander plants.

 

 

5. Castor Oil Plant


Castor oil plays a part in many home remedies, but the actual plant itself is more likely to kill you than cure you. The seeds contain one of the most poisonous naturally occuring substances known to man, Just one seed can kill a child, as the toxic protein ricin can cause severe dehydration from vomiting and diarrhea.

LEAVE A REPLY